Sign in to follow this  
Ramon BuySell

Is anyone using Courier Guy's prepaid service?

With our Pre-Paid packages you can say goodbye to account reconciliations, exceeded budgets and suprise charges!
If the above appeals to you then keep reading and see how simply we will make your courier experience.

AS EASY AS BUYING AIRTIME FOR A CELLPHONE!

https://www.thecourierguy.co.za/pre-paid-services/

Is anyone here using this service?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ramon BuySell said:

Is anyone here using this service?

I don't use it but I did call in and they sent me the details.

They give you an account with reference to put the money in starting with R1000 ex vat so R1150. And each time you use the service the money gets deducted from that amount. The balance must not drop below R100 and subsequent deposits of R1150 has to be made.

There is two types of accounts the "one rate national" and another one "online 2" I think. Under certain circumstances the one rate account will be cheaper than the online 2 like for larger packages.
But for smaller packages it's not so cheap, one rate has a minimum charge of R110 for a overnight package up to 2kg and R38 per kg thereafter and on the online 2 package the minimum charge is R80 up to 2kg with R35 extra per kilo and the caveat of a R60 a "regional (outlying)" surcharge.

You have to choose one account which complicates matters if you have packages of varying sizes and weights.

I found their whole pricing structure a tad confusing because they have these two different accounts with different prices, then there is the local pricing, national overnight courier, domestic airfreight and the national road freight pricing each with multiple tiers for distance/time/weight. But after spending some time reading it I got a better picture.

They also send you a 8 page document to fill in including a "bond of surety" which I found strange for a prepaid account. They do have some crazy surcharges like R455 for "chainstore, embassy, government departments" which I found excessive.  So if you have R1150 in your account and send ten R110 packages to those places you can end up with a bill of R4500. So maybe that's why they want you to sign surety.

Honestly, I wasn't too impressed by their pricing (the online 2  prices is vat exclusive according to forms) I thought they are much cheaper considering how popular they are, maybe credit accounts are cheaper especially if you doing higher volumes.

Edited by mr nobody

21 hours ago, mr nobody said:

I don't use it but I did call in and they sent me the details.

They give you an account with reference to put the money in starting with R1000 ex vat so R1150. And each time you use the service the money gets deducted from that amount. The balance must not drop below R100 and subsequent deposits of R1150 has to be made.

There is two types of accounts the "one rate national" and another one "online 2" I think. Under certain circumstances the one rate account will be cheaper than the online 2 like for larger packages.
But for smaller packages it's not so cheap, one rate has a minimum charge of R110 for a overnight package up to 2kg and R38 per kg thereafter and on the online 2 package the minimum charge is R80 up to 2kg with R35 extra per kilo and the caveat of a R60 a "regional (outlying)" surcharge.

You have to choose one account which complicates matters if you have packages of varying sizes and weights.

I found their whole pricing structure a tad confusing because they have these two different accounts with different prices, then there is the local pricing, national overnight courier, domestic airfreight and the national road freight pricing each with multiple tiers for distance/time/weight. But after spending some time reading it I got a better picture.

They also send you a 8 page document to fill in including a "bond of surety" which I found strange for a prepaid account. They do have some crazy surcharges like R455 for "chainstore, embassy, government departments" which I found excessive.  So if you have R1150 in your account and send ten R110 packages to those places you can end up with a bill of R4500. So maybe that's why they want you to sign surety.

Honestly, I wasn't too impressed by their pricing (the online 2  prices is vat exclusive according to forms) I thought they are much cheaper considering how popular they are, maybe credit accounts are cheaper especially if you doing higher volumes.

Thank you @mr nobody

That doesn't sound "AS EASY AS BUYING AIRTIME FOR A CELLPHONE!"

Which courier are you currently using?

56 minutes ago, Ramon BuySell said:

Thank you @mr nobody

No problem.

That doesn't sound "AS EASY AS BUYING AIRTIME FOR A CELLPHONE!"

No it's a hassle to sign up.

Which courier are you currently using?

Aramex for small parcels
PostNet for medium parcels
Bigfoot Express for large parcels

I was looking for a prepaid courier service that will collect at my door. At the moment I use Aramex store-to-door* and PostNet to PostNet which I have to drop off which takes time and is more a hassle due to COVID-19. So I just wanted a prepaid courier service that was as simple as that. With Aramex you know what will fit in the bag and if you make cutoff time the bag is at its destination the next morning; with PostNet its easy to work out, know how long it takes and no surprises because the recipient has to collect it at PostNet. Courier Guy surcharges makes me nervous. I do mostly once-off deals its not like I go and chase after the extra money from buyers. But it is something I am looking into. I will let you know how it goes if I sign up.

*Aramex also takes longer to outlying areas and has surcharges and no insurance, but I have never had any problems.

Sign in to follow this