Sign in to follow this  
Ramon BuySell

How to remove glue residue left by sticky labels?

Ladies & Gents

Often when I buy stuff there are stickers on that leaves a glue residue behind when removed. This can be from prices, auction lot numbers, sale stickers etc. 

I've tried various things, my current solution is to spray on lubricant to soften the glue and then sunlight liquid and warm water on a cloth to wipe off what is left or any oily residue left from the lubricant. This doesn't always work as some surfaces are more sensitive and older glue residue is hard so the lubricant has to be left on for a while which wastes time.

What is your solution to removing glue residue left by sticky labels without damaging the surface of the item?

Posted (edited)

I use a similar method to you. I use a product called "Tool-in-a-Can" which is a multi-purpose lubricant I spray on almost everything that needs to be lubricated including to remove sticker residue.

Tool-in-a-Can is basically a cheaper Q20/WD-40 made by Shield Chemicals which is known for their affordable car cleaning products. 

Edited by Business Machines

I use a cooking spray to remove the glue residue left by self-adhesive labels on book covers, just peel the sticker off, spray it on and wipe off with a cloth. This is most effective when the sticker is just peeled off and is still sticky rather than with glue residue that has not been properly removed before and has hardened.

23 hours ago, Nossob said:

I use a cooking spray to remove the glue residue left by self-adhesive labels on book covers, just peel the sticker off, spray it on and wipe off with a cloth. This is most effective when the sticker is just peeled off and is still sticky rather than with glue residue that has not been properly removed before and has hardened.

Like Spray & Cook?

On 3/27/2020 at 8:38 PM, Business Machines said:

Like Spray & Cook?

Yes, but this brand: Cook 'n Bake

cooknbake.png.198039ba3e5c1949b022f2b2efccb239.png

Posted (edited)
On 4/1/2020 at 2:30 PM, Business Machines said:

That costs almost as much as lubricant :)

I get it for R18/300ml, past its best before date at Giant Hyper :)

Edited by Nossob

Sign in to follow this